Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Return to Ravnica League Event 1 and Updates



Thanks to everyone who came out to draft last night!  We had 22 people participating, a new record for League!  Congratulations to Don Fong and Ben Cope for coming First and Second place with their perfect 3-0 records.

Welcome to Ryerson's Magic: The Gathering League Year 3!  Welcome back to Ravnica.  The League will run until the end of June or so. Prizes will be given out at the end of League.

A BIG thank you to Shane Flynn (who unfortunately could not join us for the draft) for booking an awesome room for the entire semester.  He gets his choice of guild and an automatic Rank 9.  For those who did not participate in draft last night, please let me know what guild you would like to be in.  I may have to assign you to a guild randomly.

We'll start off with your Guild choices.  Top 8 in last night's draft had priority selection.

Guild Assignments

The Azorius Senate
Rank 9, Azorius Elocutor:  SooHyun Lee
Rank 9, Azorius Elocutor:  Mark Rafanan
Rank 9, Azorius Elocutor:  David Hy
Rank 9, Azor's Elocutor:  Ryan Whitney
Rank 9, Azor's Elocutor:  Shane Flynn

Unlocked:  Azorius Guildgate, Precinct Captain

The Cult of Rakdos (Blood for the Blood God?)
Rank 9, Rakdos Roustabout:  Zachary Evershed
Rank 9, Rakdos Roustabout:  Bobby Chan
Rank 9, Grim Roustabout:  Alexander Switzer (1B: Regen!)
Rank 9, Rakdos Roustabout:  Eric Li

Unlocked:  Rakdos Guildgate, Dreadbore

The Selesnya Conclave
Rank 9, Selesnya Sentry:  Don Fong (5G: Regen!)
Rank 9, Selesnya Sentry:  Arthur Yeung
Rank 9, Selesnya Sentry:  Johnathan North
Rank 9, Selesnya Sentry:  Richard Laurie

Unlocked:  Sleaznya Charm, Call of the Conclave

The Izzet League
Rank 9, Izzet Attendant:  Ricky Huynh
Rank 9, Izzet Attendant:  Hakim Omar-Bujak
Rank 9, Izzet Attendant:  Janson Chung
Rank 10, Izzinit Recruit:  Tai Ju
Rank 10, Izzet Recruit:  Chris Wong

Unlocked:  Izzet Charm, Cyclonic Rift

The Golgari Swarm (The embodiment of silent death)
Rank 9, Swarm Corrupter:  Ben Cope
Rank 9, Swarm Corrupter:  Arthur Fetelya
Rank 9, Zerg Corrupter:  Eric Sturm
Rank 9, Swarm Corrupter: Joseph Luong

Unlocked:  Lotleth Troll, Deathrite Shaman


Tiered Unlocks

Tier Azorius Rakdos Selesnya Izzet Golgari
Tier 1 Angel of Serenity (800 I) Rakdos (800 I) Trostani (800 I) Jace (800 I) Vraska (800 I)
Tier 2 Isperia (500 I) Rakdos's Return
(800 I)
Armada Wurm
(800 I)
Niv-Mizzet (800 I) Jarad (600 I)
Tier 3 Sphinx's Revelation (800 I) Desecration Demon (800 I) Loxodon Smiter
(800 I)
Utvara Hellkite
(500 I)
Abrupt Decay
(600 I)

Necropolis Regent (500 I) Worldspine Wurm (300 I) Epic Experiment (300 I)
Tier 4 New Prahv Guildmage (500 I) Rix Maadi Guildmage (500 I) Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage (500 I) Nivix Guildmage
(500 I)
Korozda Guildmage (500 I)

Hallowed Fountain
(800 I)
Blood Crypt 
(800 I)
Temple Garden
(800 I)
Steam Vents  
(800 I)
Overgrown Tomb
(800 I)

Supreme Verdict
(800 I)



Pack Rat (800 I)
Tier 5 Azorius Guildgate (400 I) Rakdos Guildgate (400 I) Selesnya Guildgate (400 I) Izzet Guildgate
(400 I)
Golgari Guildgate (400 I)

Azorius Charm
(400 I)
Rakdos Charm
(400 I)
Selesnya Charm (400 I) Izzet Charm
(400 I)
Golgari Charm
(400 I)

Detention Sphere
(500 I)
Dreadbore (500 I) Rest in Peace
(300 I)
Mizzium Mortars
(500 I)
Lotleth Troll  
(400 I)

Precinct Captain
(300 I)
Cryptborn Horror
(300 I)
Call of the Conclave (500 I) Cyclonic Rift 
(300 I)
Deathrite Shaman (400 I)

The Influence cost to unlock a card is either beside or under the card name.


The Black Market Rule:
To purchase cards you do not have access to, you may pay X times the Influence cost of that card to unlock it.  All Black Market purchases are solo purchases.  You cannot collectively buy a card.  Regardless of whether the card is associated with your Guild or not, the Influence is paid to the Black Market rather than to an opposing Guild.  "X" depends on the difference between your Access and the card you are trying to purchase.

In Guild Unlocks
Same Tier (No point):  X = 1
1 Tier above Access:  X = 2
2 Tiers above Access:  X = 3
3 Tiers above Access:  X = 4
4 Tiers above Access:  X = 5

Out of Guild Unlocks
Same Tier:  X = 1.5
1 Tier above Access:  X = 2.5
2 Tiers above Access:  X = 3.5
3 Tiers above Access:  X = 4.5
4 Tiers above Access:  X = 5.5
Ex.
Rank 9 Golgari Corrupter Accesses:  Tier 5 In Guild, Tier 5 Out of Guild
Purchasing Tier 4, (Golgari) Pack Rat (800 I):  X = 2, Cost is 1600 I
Purchasing Tier 3, (Golgari) Abrupt Decay (600 I):  X = 3, Cost is 1800 I
Purchasing Tier 1, (Golgari) Vraska (800 I):  X = 5, Cost is 4000 I
Purchasing Tier 5, (Rakdos) Rakdos Charm (400 I):  X = 1.5, Cost is 600 I
Purchasing Tier 4, (Selesnya) Temple Garden (800 I):  X = 2.5, Cost is 2000 I
Purchasing Tier 1, (Izzet) Jace (800 I):  X = 5.5, Cost is 4400 I


Guild Ranks

Rank 1 (3000 Exp):  May unlock up to Tier 1.  May pay Influence for all cards.
Rank 2 (2550 Exp):  Access to Tier 1 cards.  May pay Influence for all Tier 2 cards.
Rank 3 (2050 Exp):  Access to Tier 2 cards.  May pay Influence for other guilds' unlocked Tier 2 cards.
Rank 4 (1600 Exp):  Access to Tier 2 cards.  May pay Influence for all Tier 3 cards.
Rank 5 (1200 Exp):  Access to Tier 3 cards.  May pay Influence for other guilds' unlocked Tier 3 cards.
Rank 6 (850 Exp):  Access to Tier 3 cards.  May pay Influence for all Tier 4 cards.
Rank 7 (550 Exp):  Access to Tier 4 cards.  May pay Influence for other guilds' unlocked Tier 4 cards.
Rank 8 (300 Exp):  Access to Tier 4 cards.  May pay Influence for all Tier 5 cards.
Rank 9 (100 Exp):  Access to Tier 5 cards.  May pay Influence for other guilds' unlocked Tier 5 cards.
Rank 10 (0 Exp):  May not pay Influence to unlock cards.

Note that "Access to" here means "may unlock up to."

A Match Win gives players 100 Influence and 50 Experience, while a Match Loss gives players 0 Influence and 25 Experience.  There will be other ways to win Influence and Experience as the League progresses.


Influence

Influence is used to unlock cards.  You and your team members can spend Influence together for a collective purchase, as long as participating members all have access to that Tier.  Once a card is unlocked, your entire Guild can have that card in their decks.  Access to a Tier only matters when unlocking, all members of your Guild can play cards unlocked by your Guild.  Guilds may unlock cards at the beginning of each event.

When you earn Influence, you have control over where it goes.  No one else can force you to spend your Influence.  Guilds will have a running total of their current, collective Influence.  This number will decide the winning Guild(s) at the end of League.  Prizes include a booster box (or more) of product and will be distributed proportionally (by Influence) to the winning Guild(s).  This collective Influence number is merely the sum of each Guild member's Influence.  Influence does not count the value of unlocked cards, it is only the current number you have.  

Players cannot trade or give away Influence.  Influence may decay if you are absent from enough consecutive events.  To unlock a card associated with your Guild, simply tell me at the beginning of an event.  I will deduct the Influence cost from your current total(s). 

Influence will also provide other bonuses.  The player with the higher influence will add a number to their die roll to determine who goes first.  The bonus depends on the Influence difference between the two players.  Make sure you're rolling 2d6 at the start of a match. This only affects League Block Constructed events.

If you have higher Influence, you're more likely to go first:
300 Influence higher:  2d6 + 1
300 to 500 Influence higher:  2d6 + 2
500 to 800 Influence higher:  2d6 + 3
800 Influence or more:  2d6 + 4

During some events, I will give out promos to random Guilds.  The Guild member with the highest influence in attendance receives the prize.  Prizes include but are not limited to:  Promo cards, random foils, League tokens, sleeves...

During special events, the Guild member with the highest Influence will effectively be Team Captain for the duration of the event. 

I may create more bonuses related to Influence as the League progresses.


Special Events

Commander (EDH)

How many of you have a Commander deck and/or have access to enough cards to build a Commander deck?  Normally, we play Commander after League events.  But I want to incorporate some of that into League.  This year, we'll try to have a couple of Commander events.  Our Commander events will follow the rules and banlist on http://mtgcommander.net/.

These events will be 1 v 1, a single free mulligan and 1 Game Matches with the regular time limit.  Please build a Commander deck that contains one or both of your Guild colours.  Your Commander cannot have any other colours.  Because this is a more casual environment, we play with no Infinite combos (no mass Land Destruction and such...).  The first of these events will occur in at least 2 months.  Anyone not participating in Commander events will be able to play a variant format (like Horde).  More on Commander events later.

Guild Challenge

On special occasions, we'll be playing small versions of the World Magic Cup (More like Team Championships).  Guilds will be pitted against each other in a team event of either 3v3 or 5v5.  It will most likely be Block Constructed only.  Before the event begins, each Team Captain must secretly decide on the order in which their players will be playing.  They decide on a fixed Seat Number (1,2,3 or 1,2,3,4,5) for each player on their Guild for the duration of the event.  Players not participating will be able to play a variant format here as well.  More on Guild Challenges as the League progresses.


Events

Block Constructed Events make up the bulk of League.  There is an optional entry fee of $2.  Every 5 players who pay add 3 booster packs to the prize pool.  If you opt to pay and place in the prize, you receive your prize.  If you opt not to pay and place in the prize, the next person who paid receives that prize.  We'll be playing Swiss, which means it is possible to be paired against your own Guildmates.  For the first round of each Event, I will try to prevent that from happening.  Swiss also prevents total domination by a single guild, as players with similar records will play each other.  Prizes (depending on size of pool) will be distributed to Top 3 or by record.  Generally, an event will last 3 rounds, even if we have more players.  If attendance remains high enough, we can go up to 4 slightly shorter rounds (45 minutes per).

Event 2 is Block Constructed and will be held on Tuesday, October 23 @ 6:00pm in Eggy's Summit.  Entry fee:  Optional $2.   I will build a couple (or 5) decks and choose 1 of them to play on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment